Click HERE for sequential courses prerequisite requirements
- Successful completion of English 30-1 or 30-2 is required for high school graduation.
- Students with a mark of A in English 8 are encouraged to register for English 9 Advanced.
- Students with less than 60% in English must take English 10-2 before taking English 10-1.
- Students with less than 60% in English 10-1 must take English 20-2 before taking English 20-1
- Students with less than 60% in English 20-1 should take English 30-2 before taking English 30-1.
- Any Grade 10 student wishing to take a Grade 11 English course must have 65% or better in the prerequisite course.
- Any Grade 11 student wishing to take a Grade 12 English course must have 65% or better in the prerequisite course.
English 10-2, 20-1, and 30-1; and English 10-2, 20-1, and 30-2:
These courses are based on two similar program sequences; one in Academic English and one in Applied English, with some material common to both sequences.
English 10-2, 20-2, and 30-2:
Emphasis is placed on practical applications of English rather than intensive literary analysis.
English 10-1, 20-1, and 30-1:
Emphasis is placed on close reading and critical/analytical responses to literary texts. Students entering English 10-1 should have above 60% in English 9, be prepared to do homework, and be skilled at reading and writing.