Skip to main content

Student Services FAQ

Q: Which school will my child attend?

A: Click here to see where your child will attend school based on the subdivision you live in. .

Q: When does Kindergarten registration begin?

A: Registration for Kindergarten begins the first week of January, when schools re-open, for the following school year.

Q: How old must my child be to attend Kindergarten?

A: Your child(ren) must be 5 years of age by December 31st of their kindergarten year.

Q: I want my child to attend a school that is not my community school. What do I need to do?

A: Click here for the school board policy on Parent Choice of schools.

Q: Is there a special needs school in Red Deer?

A: Red Deer Public Schools supports inclusion. Programming for your child’s needs are, in most cases, met at your community school. In some cases, the most enabling environment for an individual student may be outside the regular classroom placement or immediate community school. Such placements will be determined on a consultative basis with schools, Student Services, and parents. For information on Division programs click here.

Q: I think my child requires specialized assessment (for example, psychology). What should I do?

A: If you have concerns regarding your child’s progress, please communicate concerns with your child’s teacher. Your child’s teacher will consult with the School Learning Team to determine next steps.

Q: Does my child qualify for transportation to and from school?

A: Depending on the program your child is registered in and the distance he or she lives from the school, transportation may be available. Click here for further information on transportation.

image description
Back to top