Hockey Academy Teachers
Brett Cote Grade 6 Hockey Academy Teacher
Brett began his teaching career with Red Deer Public Schools in 2021. He is passionate about developing the cognitive, physical, and social skills of the students he teaches. He has enjoyed interacting with youth and brings valuable experience in working with diverse groups of children. Brett’s career objective is to give his students the same positive experiences he was provided throughout his life. He will be the Grade 6 teacher for Red Deer Public’s Hockey Academy.
Brett played four years in the Western Hockey League (WHL) for the Victoria Royals and the Red Deer Rebels. He also played one year at Acadia University (USports) before being forced to retire due to health concerns. He brings a wealth of experience to the Hockey Academy through playing, coaching and leadership.
As for teaching, Brett believes that learning should be fun for all students as it helps keep them engaged and motivated. He also believes that bringing positivity into the classroom and arena creates a learning environment that allows the students to be comfortable. Students can feel safe, supported, empowered, and respected in this learning environment. They are able to be more engaged in the learning and learn more effectively. This positivity also allows Brett as an educator to build strong relationships with students which also enhances their learning.
- Bachelor of Education, University of Alberta/Red Deer College
- Bachelor of Kinesiology, Acadia University
- Middle School Teacher - Red Deer Public Schools
- Substitute Teacher - Red Deer Public Schools
- Victoria Royals - WHL
- Red Deer Rebels - WHL
- Acadia University - USport
- Acadia Men’s Assistant Hockey Coach
- Acadia Peewee AAA Assistant Hockey Coach
Dustin Claffey Grades 7- 12 Hockey Academy Teacher
Born and raised in Red Deer, Dustin is back to his roots and is excited to help his community continue to grow. A graduate of Red Deer Public Schools, Dustin attended Mountview Elementary, Central Middle School and Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School. He is now a Certified Teacher and will be instructing Hockey Academy students in Grades 7 & 8 as well as high school.
Dustin believes that sport provides many skills, opportunities, and life lessons which easily translate to the everyday, and that growing the skills of the player, also grows them as lifelong, positive leaders on and off the ice. Connection with his students and athletes is also an important aspect of teaching for Dustin.
As a player, Dustin played Junior, Senior, and College Hockey and competed in all high school sports. He was fortunate to play on many successful teams who have won at a local, regional, provincial, and national level. All of these experiences have helped shape Dustin into the coach and educator he is today, and he looks forward to continuing his journey with Red Deer Public Schools.
- Bachelor of Education, Brandon University
- Bachelor of Arts, Concordia University College of Alberta
- Teacher - Vancouver School Board
- Physical Education Teacher & Athletic Director - 1972 Memorial High School
- Vernon Vipers - BCJHL
- Powell River Kings - BCJHL
- Augustana Vikings - ACAC
- Concordia Thunder - ACAC
- Bentley Generals - Chinook Senior AAA Hockey League
- Development Coach - Competitive Thread Athlete Testing and Development, Vimy Ridge Academy, and Prince of Wales Secondary
- Head Instructor with Okanagan Hockey Group
- Coach - Cross Country Running, Volleyball, Basketball, Badminton, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee