Staffing Processes - Certificated staff
The staffing processes below apply to Certificated Staff in the Division, which includes those with an Alberta Professional Teaching certificate. If you have any questions about this information please email us at email@example.com.
In order to ensure transparency and equitable access to opportunities, in almost all cases, we will be advertising any openings created by leaves, retirements, resignations, transfers, non-retention, etc.
All positions will be advertised as “Until a suitable candidate is found” to provide flexibility with shortlisting and selection process
Temporary Contract- Teacher who is replacing another teacher on leave. These can be positions for the full year or less than the full year. These contracts will all end no later than June 30 of the school year.
Probationary Contract- Teacher who is hired for the full school year and not replacing another teacher on leave. These contracts will all end on June 30. Two evaluation reports must be completed (1st due November and 2nd due April) during the probationary year.
Continuing Contract- Teachers who were on probationary contract, who have two successful evaluation reports, and whom the school wishes to retain, and where a position is available, will be issued a continuing contract for the next school year
Interim Contract- Teachers who are hired for less than the full school year and not replacing another teacher on leave. These contracts will end no later than June 30
- Administrative Contracts
One Year Fixed Term Principal / Vice Principal Contract - for administrators entering their first assignment as a VP or Principal. An evaluation must be completed in year one to move to the next contract step
Two Year Fixed Term Principal / Vice Principal Contract - for administrators entering their second or subsequent years as a VP or Principal. A second evaluation must be completed in the second year of the fixed term contract
Continuing Principal / Vice Principal Contract - for administrators with two successful evaluations on file, who will be offered an administrative position for their fourth and subsequent year.
- Teachers on probationary contract must have two successful evaluation reports on file to be considered for a continuing contract in the following school year
- Once completed, scanned, signed copies of each evaluation report are uploaded into the teacher’s / administrator’s personnel file
Leaves of Absences will be approved as follows, commencing in 2023/24:
Partial Leave of Absence- A full-time continuing contract teacher who requests a part-time assignment in the school year. The remaining FTE will be filled with a temporary contract teacher
Full Leave of Absence- A full-time or part-time continuing contract teacher who requests a leave of absence for their full assignment in a school year. They are replaced with a temporary contract teacher.
All Leaves of Absence will be granted for one year only, with the option, in the spring of their leave year, for teachers on LOA to request up to a second year of leave in the following school year.
Following a second year leave of absence, teachers will be asked to return to their position / FTE or resign.
Leaves will be communicated in writing to teachers
- Our goal is to notify teachers of their status for the following school year no later than May 30.
- In fairness to teachers on Temporary or Probationary Contracts who we know will not be retained, we encourage notification as soon as possible
- Electronic staffing notifications will be sent to probationary contract teachers by June 1st to indicate their status
- In scenarios where we are unsure of the status of a Probationary or Temporary teacher before May 30, we communicate clearly with this teacher about the uncertainty of their position. Unless otherwise notified to People Services, these teachers will receive an electronic staffing notification on June 1st indicating their position will be discontinued.
- Teachers requesting a transfer to another school are asked to complete the Transfer Change of Status Form in February / March
- Principals of teachers requesting a transfer will complete a reference check form for these teachers
- Principals of schools being requested, will receive a list, via email, of all teachers and their completed reference checks in April. This provides principals opportunities to review the references and interested candidates early in the staffing process
- Teachers who have requested a transfer are still required to apply for open positions
- There are many excellent teachers who request a transfer to another school. Principals are encouraged to consider these RDPSD employees in their shortlists for openings