First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Learning Services
The First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services staff are
Terry Lakey, Teacher 403-342-3707
Hayley Christen, Coordinator - Learning Services 403-357-3996
Ron Eberts, Associate Superintendent, Technology and Information Services 403-342-3700
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services provides services and resources to students and teachers in order to support the success of First Nations, Métis and Inuit students in our schools.
Together we can support Indigenous student achievement, excellence, and success!
Red Deer Public Schools is committed to improving education outcomes and creating opportunities for Indigenous students in our schools.
First nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services provides services and resources in:
- Cultural awareness
- Consultations for student supports
- Curriculum support
- Professional learning
- Referrals to community agencies
- Support transitions in students’ education
Specific strategies include...
- Build capacity with teachers in regard to the indicators within the Teaching Quality Standard as they apply to First Nations, Métis and Inuit learners.
- Build capacity with staff to incorporate First Nations, Métis and Inuit content and perspectives into the delivery of curriculum content.
- Continue to utilize Learning Support Team at each school. Learning Support Teams may include administrators, teachers, learning assistance teachers, educational assistants, community liaison workers, First Nations, Métis and Inuit 'point people', mental health therapist, school counsellors, and parents.
- Provide transition support for First Nations, Métis and Inuit students.