Frequently Asked Questions
What will my learning look like?
- A teacher specialized in the specific subject area is available online during school hours (9 am to 1 pm) to help support the student with the subject area and completion of the course online. Curriculum is delivered through online Moodle and/or Google Classroom. The Teacher will support and facilitate curriculum, set assignment deadlines and evaluate all course work through online methods.
- Due to the abbreviated, intensive nature of the summer program, homework and assigned readings form a major component to our online courses. Students should be prepared to spend five to six hours per day on their course work.
- *Students must meet teacher/course expectations and all daily assignment deadlines - this is MANDATORY.* We do advise that students are online during school hours (9:00 am to 1:00 pm) so you can seek assistance from teachers. All assignment deadlines assigned by teachers MUST be followed. Some courses will require daily mandatory meets (google, zoom).
I am going on Vacation, are the dates flexible?
- NO, the dates indicated for Summer School are strictly adhered to. Your teachers will be setting daily assignment deadlines that must be followed. There is an expectation that a student will do daily check ins with their teacher and are active online during school hours. If you are going away you will still be expected to log in and complete your course work. If your destination does not have internet access you may not enroll in the course.
Can I take more than one course?
- NO, due to the abbreviated, intensive nature of the summer program, homework assignments and assigned readings form a major component of all our courses. Students should be prepared to spend five to six hours per day on course work.
When will I receive my course materials?
- Students will be sent an email providing them with material pick up dates and course information. Students will have access to their courses June 27, however, Teacher support will not begin until July 4.
Can I access accommodations?
- If you are a student that has utilized special accommodations for course work or exam writing under Alberta Education guidelines in your home school, please be advised that we are unable to provide these same provisions in our Summer School program. Summer School compresses a semester's worth of course material in 20 days. Your instructors do not have additional hours in the day to supervise special accommodations. It is very important that you understand both the limitations and expectations of the Summer School program before registering.
Can I finish early?
- Yes, if the teacher determines all the requirements of the course have been met and the final exam is completed.
Can I withdraw from Summer School?
- A student may withdraw from summer school but will forfeit their entire Registration payment, there will be NO refund. It is very important that a student is 100% committed to attend before they complete the registration procedure. Withdrawal in writing must be provided.
Will I have to write the Diploma Exam?
- Core 30 Level classes will require that a Diploma Exam be written. See Diploma page for Specific Diploma information regarding Diploma Exams.
Students are required to pay a registration fee based on their age and the course they are registering in. Please refer to the Fees and Refunds Section of Summer School for specific fee information.
Registration - is online only through the Alternative School Centre website asc.rdpsd.ab.ca starting May 2. If a course is not there, it is full, a waiting list will be created once registrations are completed and after the closing date on June 3. Please email email@example.com to be put on the list.
Payment - MUST be made with the Online registration form. Please be aware of our NO REFUNDS POLICY, once the registration application has been completed. NO REFUND is given until successful course completion and all materials are returned. Refunds will be processed after October 17.
Legal Identification must be provided - this is a requirement of the Online registration and must be completed in order for the Registration to be processed.
Can I receive funding for my course - NO, Summer School and the Alternative School Centre is not involved in any funding program.