Most Summer School 2023 courses are full. However we have limited spots available in
21 Century Learning, CALM, Phys Ed, Forensics, Work Experience, Foods
Please be aware that due to the abbreviated nature of the summer program, assignments and assigned readings form a large component of all our courses. Students should be prepared to spend 5 to 6 hours per day on their course. Students may select ONE COURSE ONLY to complete during the Summer School session.
Prerequisite courses must be completed and passed prior to summer school. Students registered without the required prerequisites will be withdrawn from the course. Please verify any pre-requisite before registering.
ALL COURSES WILL BE OFFERED ONLINE except FOODS
Courses being offered during Summer School 2023 are: (Course and class type is subject to change)
Core Courses are offered Online only (Note: 30 level core courses have Diploma exams to be taken in early August):
- Biology 20, 30
- Chemistry 20, 30
- English 10-1, 20-1, 30-1
- English 10-2, 20-2, 30-2
- Math 10C*, 20-1, 20-2, 30-1,30-2
- Math 10-3*, 20-3*,30-3*
- Physics 20, 30
- Science 10, 20, 30
- Science 14, 24
- Social Studies 10-1*, 20-1*, 30-1
- Social Studies 10-2*, 20-2, 30-2
- Physical Education 10* (Available in person and Online -minimum requirement of 10 students registered to offer this class.)
- Foods* (NOTE: in person only - at Lindsay Thurber kitchens - minimum requirement of 10 students registered to offer this class)
Options Courses (All ONLINE only)
- CALM 20* (3 credit course)
- Aboriginal Studies 10*, 20*, 30*
- 21st Century Learning Bundle* - 6 credits of CTS (INF1030, INF1060, INF1070, INF1910, COM1910, COM1255) Student will receive a Chromebook upon completion of course. Note: Red Deer Public school students please contact your School Principal or Vice Principal to be registered.
- Forensic Science 25*
- Workplace Safety Bundle* 3 credits of CTS at 30 Level (HCS3000, HCS3010, AGR3000)
- Work Experience 25*, 35* click here for more information
- Personal Psychology 20*, General Psychology 20*, Abnormal Psychology 35* - each 3 credit (Personal and General are pre-rec for Abnormal Psychology 35)
- Marketing and Management 30* (5 Credit bundle)
*These courses do not require materials*
**Remember only ONE COURSE can be completed during Summer School**
**Determination of enrollment numbers in Course offerings will be completed as soon as we are able. We will not offer courses or courses of specific type (in person or online) with low enrollment numbers.
What does learning look like in Summer School 2023
- Method of delivery for Core subjects will be delivered through In person daily attendance and also available through an Online virtual platform. This may be done through Moodle, Google classroom &/or Brightspace.
- Physical Education 10 is available in person and online.
- Foods is in person only at Lindsay Thurber Kitchens.
- Method of delivery for Options subjects will be delivered Online only. This may be done through Moodle, Google classroom &/or Brightspace.
- Pines Alternative School will be open daily during the Summer School session during the hours of 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- Mandatory daily attendance for in person classes and/or virtual classroom and teacher contact expectations must be met.
- A teacher specialized in the subject is available during school hours (8:30 am to 12:30 pm ) to assist the student and facilitate the course curriculum. The teacher will have expectations for all students in regard to assignment completion and daily deadlines will be in place.
- Course completion timeline is dependent on Teacher and Student.