Red Deer Public Schools offers early learning programming for children ages 3 and 4 years with identified learning needs. Pre-Kindergarten is designed to increase communication, socialization and learning readiness for successful entry into Kindergarten.
All Pre-Kindergarten Programs include:
- Certified teacher
- Learning through play
- Literacy rich environment
- Multi-Disciplinary Services that include: Learning Assistance Teacher, Speech Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist and Contracted Psychology. Enhanced services for vision, deaf and hard of hearing are also available.
- Half-day programming (am or pm) available
- 3 year olds - 4 days a week
- 4 year olds - 5 days a week
- Small class settings with low child:adult ratio.
- Individual Support Plans (ISP’s) are developed in collaboration with parents as required.
Pre-Kindergarten Programming provides a welcoming learning environment that allows young children to:
- Enhance communication skills
- Develop social and emotional skills
- Develop fine and gross motor skills
- Foster creative and cognitive development through a variety of firsthand experiences
- Develop greater independence and problem solving skills
- Foster a sense of belonging and well being
Funding from Alberta Education is provided for children whose learning is impacted as a result of identified severe, or mild/moderate delays.
Applying for Pre-Kindergarten
Families applying for the Pre-Kindergarten program online, please click here.
Applications are accepted beginning the second week of January for the new school year.
For further information, contact the Principal or Vice Principal at your neighbourhood school.
Currently Pre-Kindergarten Programs are Located at:
- G.W. Smith Elementary School
- Joseph Welsh Elementary School
- Normandeau School
- West Park Elementary School
Parents are responsible for transporting their child to and from Pre-Kindergarten.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When can I apply for Pre-Kindergarten?
A: Applications are accepted beginning the first week of January for the following school year.
Q: How old must my child be to attend Pre-Kindergarten?
A: Four year old programming serves children who are four years of age by December 31st. Three year old programming serves children who are three years of age by September 1st and have identified severe developmental delays.
Q: Is there a fee for Pre-Kindergarten?
A: There is no fee for Pre-Kindergarten as Alberta Education funding is provided if your child is identified as having mild, moderate or severe delays.