FNMI Learning Services
FNMI - Learning Services provides services and resources to students and teachers in order to support the success of First Nations. Metis and Inuit (FNMI) students in our schools.
Our FNMI - Learning Services staff are:
- Suzanne Bleaken (Teacher)
- Teddi Littlechild (Teacher)
- Brian St. Germain (Teacher)
- Denene Schawalder (Educational Assistant)
- Tracy Meneen (Educational Assistant)
- Monica Zilinski (Educational Assistant)
Together we can support FNMI student achievement, excellence and success!
Alberta Education has identified improving results for FNMI students as a priority. Jurisdiction and School Education Plans need to identify strategies to improve FNMI student results including:
- PAT/Diploma Exam Results
- High School Completion & Drop Out Rates
- Post-secondary Transition Rates
- Rutherford Scholarship Eligibility
To support this priority, FNMI - Learning Services welcomes the opportunity to work with schools to implement strategies that include:
- Individual student supports
- Parent and community engagement
- Cultural programming and awareness
- Curriculum support
- Professional development
- Support transitions in students’ education
- Celebrating success
Teachers from the FNMI - Learning Services provide unique and valuable educational supports that include:
- Consulting with and supporting schools through conversations that focus on FNMI student success.
- Providing teaching and learning resources that support and increase awareness, knowledge and understanding of FNMI cultures.
- Classroom presentations on specific FNMI topics within the Program of Studies.
- Developing curriculum resources that enhance the capacity of teachers and support the infusion of FNMI perspectives within subject areas.
- FNMI Professional Development workshops for school staff.
- Consultation support with individual schools and personnel as needed.
Library of FNMI Resources: Our program has an extensive collection of FNMI references and stories that are available for use at http://library.rdpsd.ab.ca (available only within Red Deer Public Schools)