First Nations Métis & Inuit Learning Services
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services provides services and resources to students and teachers in order to support the success of First Nations, Métis and Inuit (FNMI) students in our schools.
Red Deer Public Schools raise Treaty and Metis Flags
The First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services staff are
- Teresa Cardinal, Community Resource Connector, Red Deer Native Friendship Society
Brian St. Germain has been a teacher with Red Deer Public Schools for over 35 years. He has worked with First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services for over a decade sharing his knowledge, perspective and authentic teachings with students, teachers and administrators. He is a member of the Metis Association of Alberta and is Cree First Nation. He was awarded the Outstanding Aboriginal Educator Award from the First Nations, Métis and Inuit Education Council of the Alberta Teachers' Association for his outstanding work as an educator, mentor and leader in his profession. Brian's many years of service and dedication and impactful work make him truly deserving of this award. Congratulations Brian!
Together we can support First Nations, Métis and Inuit student achievement, excellence, and success!
Alberta Education has identified improving results for First Nations, Métis and Inuit students as a priority. Jurisdiction and School Education Plans need to identify strategies to improve First Nations, Métis and Inuit student results including:
- PAT/Diploma Exam Results
- High School Completion & Drop Out Rates
- Post-secondary Transition Rates
- Rutherford Scholarship Eligibility
To support this priority, First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services welcomes the opportunity to work with schools to implement strategies that include:
- Cultural programming and awareness
- Curriculum support
- Professional development
- Referrals to community agencies
- Support transitions in students’ education
Teachers from First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services provide unique and valuable educational supports that include:
- Classroom presentations on curriculum outcomes within the Program of Studies.
- Consultation support for individual schools and personnel as needed.
- Consulting with and supporting schools through conversations that focus on student success.
- Developing curriculum resources that enhance the capacity of teachers and support the infusion of First Nations, Métis or Inuit perspectives within subject areas.
- Professional Development workshops for school staff.
- Providing teaching and learning resources that support and increase awareness, knowledge, and understanding of First Nations, Métis and Inuit cultures.
Library of First Nations, Métis and Inuit resources: Our program has an extensive collection of First Nations, Métis and Inuit resources and stories that are available for use. As the resources are updated they will be added to the Learing Services CACHE (available only within Red Deer Public Schools). You may also contact First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services to inquire about a particular resource you would like to borrow.
Links to several on-line resources can be found on the RDPSD Learning Services website.