Red Deer Public Schools establishes designated schools for each area of the city. Eligibility for transportation service is determined by the distance from a student's primary place of residence to their designated school. Guidelines for determining these distances are established by the Department of Education. RDPSD uses a program called Busplanner to calculate routes and distances. Although there are other ways to derive distances online, RDPSD will always refer to our software if there are any discrepencies.
- Grade 1 to Grade 5 = Address is 1.6 km or greater from the school (1.6 kms to 2.39 kms = $150. No fee 2.4 kms or greater)
- Grades 6 to 12 = Address is greater than 2.4 km from the school
- Grades K-12 school of choice= Address is greater than 2.4 kms from both school of choice and designated school
Students who are ineligible for transportation because they reside less than the eligibile distance to school, may be able to access services for an additional fee as the District does not receive transportation funding for ineligible students.NOTE: Transportation may be provided if there is room available on the bus and the student resides along the existing bus route (new stops will not be created for ineligible students).
Availability is not guaranteed and is subject to change throughout the school year as (eligible) student numbers and routes change. All ineligible transportation costs must be paid at the time of application. Ineligibile riders may have their seat rescinded if it's needed for an eligible student in which case all ineligible rider fees from that date forward would be returned.
*Please call the school for information pertaining to eligibility when attending an alternative program (i.e. Gateway Christian School, Escuella Vista Grande). If your question remains unanswered, call the District Transportation office @ 403.342.3733 or 403-342-3724
- As a regular elementary student and you live under the walking distance of 1.6 km to your designated elementary school and there is a bus available for your address, you are subject to a transportation fee of $300.00/year for busing. If you live further than 1.6 km away from your school, you are not subject to this fee.
- As a regular Westpark Middle School student and you live under the walking distance of 2.4 km to (your designated school of) Westpark Middle School and there is a bus available for your address, you are subject to a transportation fee of $300.00/year for busing. If you live further than 2.4 km away from Westpark Middle School, you are not subject to this fee.