Technology and Information Services
Red Deer Public Schools has a responsibility to empower learners to be evolving ethical digital citizens who understand the implications of technology in today's society, and prepare them to live, learn and work in a digital world.
In Red Deer Public schools we prepare our students for the digital world with the 4C's of digital literacy:
- Creativity - Students will use technology to pursue their passions and demonstrate their learning through a variety of mediums and methods.
- Collaboration - Students will use technology cooperatively to solve problems, create global relationships & empower the learning of others.
- Citizenship -
- Critical Thinking - Plan and conduct research, investigate and make informed decisions, and problem solve.
What is Digital Citizenship?
Digital Citizenship is a concept which helps teachers, technology leaders and parents to understand what students/children/technology users should know to use technology appropriately. Digital Citizenship is more than just a teaching tool; it is a way to prepare students/technology users for a society full of technology. Digital citizenship is the norms of appropriate, responsible technology use. Too often we are seeing students as well as adults misusing and abusing technology but not sure what to do. The issue is more than what the users do not know but what is considered appropriate technology usage. via DigitalCitizenship.net
- Your Digital Presence - 2Learn.ca
- Disney's Internet Safety
- Know More Than Your Kids: Internet Savvy Training for Parents (Alberta Government)
- Plugged-In Parents
- Government of Canada's Digital Citizenship Guide for Parents
- Common Sense Media Digital Literacy and Citizenship
- Digital Citizenship - An extensive list of digital citizenship resources from 2Learn.ca
- Media Smarts - Canada's center for digital and media literacy
- Digital Citizenship Flashcards
- Bullying and Cyberbullying - RCMP resource site
- Raising Ethical Kids For A Networked World
- A Teachers' Guide to Digital Citizenship
- Family Media Agreements
- K-5 Family Tip: Talking Safety Online
- K-5 Family Tip: Cyberbullying
- 6-8 Family Tip: Safe Online Talk
- 6-12 Family Tip: Cyberbullying
- 9-12 Family Tip: Risky Online Relationships
- Helping Kids Navigate Their Wired World / Aider nos jeunes á naviguer dans un monde branché