First Nations Métis & Inuit Learning Services
- Aboriginal Games to Teach Math
- Bringing Métis Children's Literature to Life
- Classroom Presentations offered by FNMI Learning Services
- Curriculum Connections from FNMI Learning Services (Grades 1 - 10)
- Empowering the Spirit - Literacy
- Empowering the Spirit - Numeracy
- Guiding Voices - Curriculum Development Tool
- Provincial First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Professional Learning Project
- Residential Schools - 10 recommended books for children
- Learning Circle: Classroom Activities on First Nations in Canada, Ages 4-7
- Learning Circle: Classroom Activities on First Nations in Canada, Ages 8-12
- Learning Circle: Classroom Activities on First Nations in Canada, Ages 12 -14
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services has an extensive collection of resources, stories, lesson and unit plans available for Red Deer Public teachers to access.
For an extensive list of resources available for teachers, check out
If you are looking for something customized for your class or you have an idea for a project your would like to develop, please contact First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services by phone or email.
Phone 403-347-1165. We would love to collaborate with you.
Email: Terry.Lakey@rdpsd.ab.ca or Hayley.Christen@rdpsd.ab.ca
Strong cultural values, First Nations identity in students, and mainstream academic and technical education are not incompatible or contradictory, but in fact the former enhances ones' capacity to deal with and master the latter. With a solid grounding in one's own culture and positive identity, students become much higher achievers in all areas of education and life.
- Assembly of First Nations, 1988
Remembrance Day - Aboriginal Veterans and Teacher Resources
Book Terry Lakey to do a class presentation on Aboriginal Veterans - grade 6 and up - Terry.Lakey@rdpsd.ab.ca
Flanders yikwahaskanihk - "In Flanders Fields" translated and read in Cree
Native Soldiers, Foreign Battlefields, Remembrance Series - Resource from Veteran Affairs Canada, shares stories and documentation of Aboriginal veterans and other Aboriginal contributions to Canada's war effort
Edmonton Public Schools shares lesson plans First Nations Veterans Edu-site Guide
First Nations, Métis and Inuit Math Curriculum Kits
Math Curriculum Kit for Kindergarten to Grade Five are available at each school. Lesson plans and resources that infuse Indigenous content into teaching math outcomes are included in the kits.
Curriculum kits are being created for Math grades 6 - 12; Science (all grades); Social Studies (all grades).
The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund School Legacy Project
The Gord Downie and Chanie Wenjack Fund is part of Gord Downie's legacy and embodies his commitmenr, and that of his family, to improving the lives of First Peoples.
On this website we have shared some of the resources.
SECRET PATH Lesson Planning Templates
Grade 1 -3 lesson "When We Were Alone" (The two books used in the lesson can be borrowed from First Nations, Métis and Inuit Learning Services. Please email Hayley firstname.lastname@example.org)
- KWLS Chart
- Think and Ink
- Action Project Planning Guide
- Action Project Bibliography Sheet
- Action Project Community Consultation
Guided Reading Resources
The guided reading packs (click to view) are available to teachers in Red Deer Public Schools.
Please email email@example.com to borrow for your classroom.