ASEBP Benefit Coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Part Time, Sub and Casual Benefits
- ASEBP - My Benefits
- Change Application
- Appointment of Beneficiary form
- Claim Form - Extended Health Care, Vision
- Claim Form - Dental
- Out of Country Travel
- Other forms - on ASEBP website
- Health Spending Account Information and Deadlines
Our benefit provider is Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP). For more specific questions on what is covered please contact one of your Payroll and Benefits Specialists, see the ASEBP website, or contact them directly at 1-877-431-4786.
Please contact your Payroll and Benefits Specialists, for any changes such as address, name, and adding or deleting dependents. For all changes, Payroll needs to be notified within 31 days of the event to avoid delays in processing your benefits or restrictions from late applicant status with new dependents.
Full details of what is covered can be obtained on the ASEBP Website. An overview is below.
Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Two times your annual earnings to a maximum of $800,000
- After age 65 your coverage is reduced by 50% to one time your annual salary
- If you have a serious or prolonged illness that makes you unable to work more than 90 days, you can apply for Extended Disability Benefits (EDB).
- If approved you will be paid 70% of your basic monthly earnings, to a maximum of $23,333
- Any amounts paid are taxable, because RDPSD pays for 100% of the benefit premiums
- EDB coverage ends 3 months before the employee's 65th birthday.
Extended Health Care (plan 1)
- 100% coverage for generic / least cost alternative prescription drugs - there is a dispensing fee maximum, if your pharmacy charges more than this you may have a small amount to pay
- Medical services - such as massage, chiropractic, physiotherapy and acupuncture (maximums apply per treatment and per year)
- Medical supplies - such as diabetic supplies, orthotics, hearing aids, crutches, etc.
- Ambulance coverage - please see ASEBP website for details on how to claim this benefit
Dental Care (plan 3)
- Basic preventative / Restorative dental treatments - 100% coverage of the Dental Benefit List Fees
- Treatments over $800 require a dental predetermination
- Complete dental exam every 12 months (from last date of service) for age 19+, every 6 months for 18 and under
- Fluoride once every six month from date of last service for people under 19
- Major Restorative Dental Treatments
- Bridges, Crowns, Implants, etc.
- 60% of the Dental Benefit List fees up to $2500 for major treatments, per person per calendar year
A complete list of ASEBP Dental benefits can be found here: https://www.asebp.ca/my-benefits/dental
Vision Care (plan 3)
- $400 every two years per person
- Covers eve exams, prescription glasses, contact lenses, and others
- Rolling two year period from the service date - for example if you purchased glasses on October 1, 2020 you would have the full $400 eligible again on October 1, 2022
- Coverage is available for emergencies that happen outside of Canada.
- In the event of a medical emergency while traveling please immediately call the emergency access number to speak with a medical travel advisor
- Please see the ASEBP website for details on what is covered
Part Time, Casual or Substitute?
Benefits are available for you to purchase from ASEBP directly with their Supplemental Package. Check out this page for more information or contact one of your Payroll and Benefits Specialists.
Benefits after your employment terminates
Your group life insurance terminates on your last day of employment. You have the option to convert your group life insurance to an individual life insurance policy within 31 calendar days from your termination date. If you are interested in pursuing this option, please contact your payroll specialist to obtain the Group Life Insurance Conversion Notice.
Your general health benefits also terminate on your last day of employment. You may join an individual benefit plan with some entrance restrictions waived if applied for within 31 calendar days from the termination date. Alberta Blue Cross or other major insurers may provide a conversion privilege for these benefits. Contact those providers directly for more information about their individual benefit programs and if a conversion option is available.